Saturday, January 03, 2009

Projects



I have several projects going on. There is a stack of 80 cards on the table ready to be put together and the totebag/purse I started a couple days ago is nearly finished. The papers are all cut for the cards so I just need to take a chunk of time to put them all together. I counted all the birthdays on my new '09 calendar and there are around 50! yikes! Can you imagine paying $2-$4 for a card for each one! And finding one that you like and says what you want it to?


This is the bag I'm working on. It was a linen dress I wore a few times, but it was way out of style and didn't fit well anymore. Still, I couldn't bring myself to part with the good quality linen, it's perfect lining and the details. I used every bit of it except a few scraps. I have another similar dress, so I might do a tutorial with it now that I've got it figured out. Check out the sweet bows below!
I still need to put handles on it. Leather, hopefully, dyed the dark brown of the bows. With the extra material pieces I made little bags for inside it.





When we were in NYC with Jeremy and Jenny (see pics!) we went to the garment district to look around. I know this was an indulgence especially for me- the others were really good sports! We went into ribbon shops and milliners, trim and button shops.

I only bought a couple yards of ribbon this time, but I saw just what is available and will return sometime for ribbon for my new gown... (future project.) I'd love to return with my daughters; it would be a riot!


I especially loved the costuming in the 2006 Marie Antoinette film. Perhaps I'll fashion a gown after the strawberry gown above, or maybe the dour model's trapunto petticoated gown. The colors of the gown are very rich. Either way... now I know where to get any ribbon I want!

So many projects, so little time. I hope to get together with Matt and Ann soon and get their kids suited up for the upcoming reenacting season. We'll see what we can do in the next few weeks. We're hoping to have Mack and Katie come visit for an overnight visit soon, too.

Well, I need to fix some dinner and check on the progress of the sewing shelves! They sound... loud!

No comments: