Friday, August 03, 2007

Sum sum summertime


Summertime is the best time ever; perhaps more if you are a kid in school or a teacher. We work so hard for the school year and devote our time to attending and working on education and when summer comes... it is incredible to wake up to a beautiful morning and know you don't have to go to school... you can go canoeing, go running, work in the garden, sleep in, read, ride your bike... all before 7am and then you still have the whole day ahead of you to do whatever you want. Sigh.

Today it was VERY hot... it has been pretty hot the last few days, but I just can't bring myself to complain... because I remember all the freezing cold days in the winter when I just can't seem to get warm! So, bring it, sunshine.

So, I got to go waterskiing yesterday. When I was 7 or 8 my dad brought home this wooden PennYann ski boat. It was beautiful and foreign to us. We learned to waterski from a library book. Over the next several years, I learned to love the smell of mixed gasoline churning in the water, the whining of the motor and the slap of skis slapping hard on the wake. A plate glass lake were conditions to die for... like glass... smooth and sleek, no bumps until the wake came around and rocked you. My mom skied, my dad skied; but he usually drove, my grandfather even skied. We would ski double and I'd pull up my rope a little and then we'd criss cross back and forth. Pretty cool Grampa. My brother Steve skied, and Scott had a 'boogie board' or something that he was good at; I don't think I ever tried it. We skied a lot; on the Great Sacandaga Lake. We'd go out all day; ski a little, eat lunch, ski some more, drive around, sight ski and explore the islands. I remember Sip N Chip crackers, grapes and cherries, and cans of soda. The Nabisco Website says that Sip N Chips are discontinued.

So, Al's family was going skiing and invited me to go with them. The grandkids were in the boat and I dropped in. I have to admit I was a little nervous... I haven't been on skis... probably in 10 years (I knew it would wear me out fast!). But it's like a bike, you never forget. We took a spin around and I did ok! I'm not even very sore! Not bad for an old lady. I'd love to do it every day of the summer.

No comments: