Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SNOWDAY!!!


Woo Hoo! I think teachers love Snowdays more than the students do. I see it as a gift, a surprize party (I know it's spelled with an 's' but a word like that deserves a 'z'), an opportunity to 'catch up' or do something you've wanted to do but haven't had time to. When I look at the clock on a Snowday I compare with what I would have accomplished at school by this time.
Right now it's 9:30. I would be partway through my third period Writing class. We were working on a 2-passage Regents essay this week; comparing two passages, finding a 'controlling idea' and watching clips of 'Napoleon Dynamite' ('Cool Hand Luke' for my 10th graders) looking for literary elements.

So far this morning here at home (after getting completely ready for school before they posted the cancellation) I've done 2 loads of laundry, swept the kitchen floor, typed up my Global Studies Quiz for... tomorrow, now. and made a batch of Snickerdoodles! Yay! I'd like to take some down to the family on the street who had a new baby boy last week.

Oh, I also talked to my little sister, Suzi, about having her kids over this weekend. We've been trying since New Years! Dress-up, sledding, cookies, and Valentine cards!

I'd still like to sit and read a couple books I have in the works. One I picked up at the Strand bookstore in Manhattan when we were down there with Jeremy and Jenny. It's called "Heal Thyself; Nicholas Culpeper and the Seventeenth-Century Struggle to Bring Medicine to the People". I like it because I've always raised herbs for several reasons and this has put the use of them into perspective with the Medical Profession and origins of medicine. I've also had a lot of questions about the Medical Profession and it addresses a lot of the reasons for the structure and organization of satellite businesses around medicine.

One of the squirrels was at the window this morning peeking in. Why he left his cozy nest this morning in the bluster I have no idea! This is our picnic table being blizzarded on. Yay Snowday!

No comments: